Firing up Australia
The Nando’s cockerel landed on the shores of Western Australia in 1990 in Tuart Hill in Perth – the 8th Nando’s restaurant worldwide officially opened on 1 January 1991. (To this day, it remains one of our most popular restaurants, with devoted, loyal customers!)
It didn’t take long for the word to get around or for the people of Perth to get addicted to spicing things up with a fix of flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken.
Thanks to their passion for PERi-PERi, Nando’s spread across the length and breadth of Australia, and today, there are a few hundred Nando’s restaurants serving succulent flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken with Afro-Portuguese inspired side dishes. Come try some!
History of Nando’s in Australia
- 1990 – Nando’s opens its first restaurant at Tuart Hill, Perth
- 1995 – The flame has spread and eight Nando’s restaurants have opened
- 1999 – We fed Nelson Mandela on his visit to Australia
- 2001 – We accidentally flame-grilled our Ascot Vale restaurant. Since then, we’ve stuck to what we know best – grilling chicken!
- 2005 - Helensvale was Nando’s 100th restaurant and Nelson Mandela comes back for more
- 2008 – Nando’s reaches 200 restaurants in Australia
- 2010 – AdAge names Nando’s one of the world’s top 30 hottest marketing brands and Nando’s Australia launches a political campaign under the Australian PERi-PERi party!
- 2013 – Nando’s Australia has 270 restaurants nationwide, 28 in New Zealand and 2 in Fiji
The Nando’s way
Besides our legendary chicken, the one thing you’ll always find at Nando’s is a warm welcome that’ll make you feel right at home. And that’s not just because of our PERi-PERi!
Each one of our restaurants has its own special design, but they all have earthy textures and colours that remind us of our sunny Afro-Portuguese roots and many feature original South African art and unique design touches. Cool Afro-Luso beats and friendly service add to the vibe, and then there’s the piece-de- resistance – our flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken that’s served on beautiful crockery.
It makes for a sizzling experience and we can’t wait for you to join our table. Because if there’s one thing we love just as much as PERi-PERi, it’s big, happy gatherings!